Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Order 2014
In October 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (the “CMA”) published the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the “Order”) following its investigation into the private healthcare industry.
The Order imposed requirements on private hospital operators to disclose certain information in relation to referring clinicians (as defined by the Order) for the benefit of patients. The information provided below is required by the Order. Full details about the investigation and the Order can be found on the CMA web page.
“Higher Value” Services
The services provided at KIMS Hospital to referring clinicians and the amounts charged by KIMS Hospital for those services are set out below:
- Use of consulting rooms – £18 per hour*
- Office desk rental: £350 per month*
- Medical secretary services: £22 per hour*
*prices exclude VAT
To reflect the provision of free on-call services provided by both Medway Anaesthetic Group and West Kent Anaesthetic Group, KIMS Hospital provides use of a free office on-site.
“Low Value” Services
The following “low-value” services are also provided to referring clinicians with practicing privileges at this hospital:
- General services to ensure clinical safety (e.g. in-house training, chaperones).
- Operational services such as patient bookings/admissions, administrative services and billing, and insurance/indemnity cover in respect of NHS patients.
- General marketing support, including production of consultant directories, promotional activities, web profiles etc.
- Basic workplace amenities such as teas/coffees/refreshments, subsidised meals, car parking, stationery.
Corporate Hospitality events for referring clinicians
Corporate hospitality events held by the hospital at no charge to referring clinicians are set out below, together with the cost of providing such events:
Clinician Part-time Positions at KIMS Hospital
Private hospital operators are required to disclose details of any part-time position in their private hospitals held by a referring clinician in addition to exercising practising privileges at that hospital.