Shoulder pain is a common condition and it can have a variety of causes. It is often localised in the front of the joint, but pain can also travel down the arm. Shoulder and neck pain are often closely associated and identifying where pain starts can be difficult.
There are a few associated symptoms that may accompany shoulder pain. These include stiffness, clicking and a feeling of instability.
Usually, irritation of the rotator cuff is to blame for shoulder pain. The rotator cuff is the group of muscles that stabilise the shoulder and irritation usually builds up over time, especially after prolonged strain or multiple injuries. As the shoulder relies on these muscles for its full range of movement, straining them is not uncommon.
Frozen shoulder is another common problem that can cause pain and, as the name suggests, severe stiffness in the joint.
To relieve shoulder pain and get our patients on the road to recovery, we offer the following treatments:
- Soft tissue massage
- This involves direct manipulation of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and other connective tissue to alleviate pain and help with the healing of soft tissue injury.
- Exercise therapy and tailored exercise programmes
- Your therapist will put together a plan of physical activity and exercises designed for specific conditions and tailored to your needs to keep you fit and healthy.
- Derived from ancient medicine, acupuncture involves stimulating specific sensory nerves in the muscles in order to provide relief from chronic, joint, muscle and post-operation pain.
- Gym-based rehabilitation classes
- Our experts can provide you with one-to-one sessions or group classes, designed to get you moving without causing any further problems. This gives our patients the confidence to get back to doing what they love!
- Sports taping
- This involves applying sports tape to the skin to stabilise the position of muscles and bones during activity. This can help to reduce pain when exercising and aids recovery of injuries.
- Education and advice
- We’ll explain every step of your treatment journey to you, including post-hospital care. Our experts will advise you on the best course of action to keep you pain free.